Friday, October 26, 2007

Day 2

I called the airport no less than 10 times to inquire about my lost bags. It was always something….you need to talk to a different person, everyone is in a meeting right now, or simply that no information was available at the time. I ended up catching a taxi and just going to the airport to see what I could figure out. I found a Thai Air representative and showed him my paperwork from the day before. He informed me that they had no idea where my bags were and that I would just have to keep calling to check in with them. I was so frustrated. As I was leaving the baggage terminal I happened to look over and lone behold there was one of my bags slowly making its way around turns and twists of the baggage carousel. I can’t tell you the happiness I felt at that moment as I knew a change of underwear was in my future. Being accustomed to having my bags lost I have learned to pack by diving my clothes and various as sundries in half. Half then goes into each bag so that if only one bag arrives I am certain to have the necessities to get me by. But today the luggage Gods smiled upon me. As I was grabbing my bag from the conveyor belt, around one of the corners appeared my other bag. The taxi ride from the airport to the hotel today was a vastly different experience than yesterdays ride on so many levels.

Upon returning to the Hotel I met again with the hotel manager. This time it was to discuss room rates. Their standard monthly rate is $480 dollars. Where by our standards this is very inexpensive, by Nepali standards it is perhaps just a little pricey. Especially in light of the fact that the Tibet Guest House where I usually stay offered me a price of $300 per month. So the bartering began, and when it ended we agreed on a price of $300 per month and we both walked away happy. I returned to my room at about 4 pm and decided to take a short nap. I awoke seven hours later and I am now wide awake and there is no sleep in sight. Thank goodness for a good book.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

And I thought my life was crazy, trying to prepare for an insane garage sale tomorrow where we are finally selling all our baby stuff (you should see the mounds and mounds of stuff!)

It sounds like you are already having a huge adventure! Though I am not jealous of the food poisoning, or loosing your luggage, I am very jealous of your opportunity to travel. Hopefully Brian and I will get the chance some day soon.

Well, we love you and are thinking of you. Be safe and by the way awesome pictures! Lots of Love!

Michelle