Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Is it bungy or is it bungee

As I stood in line awaiting my turn to bungy, I looked to the other side of the bridge at the congregation of Nepalis who watched as we one by one threw ourselves off a bridge. I couldn’t help but wonder if their thoughts were similar to mine….why are these crazy foreigners throwing themselves off a perfectly good bridge? I don’t think I have ever even walked across a bridge as high as this one, and to make matters worse it was a cable suspension bridge… and yes I was going to jump off of it. I can’t even tell you the flood of emotions that I felt as I awaited my turn.

We had to meet at 5:45 this morning in Kathmandu to start our journey to the location of the bungy jump. We were told that it would be a comfortable 4 hour drive. At least they were right about the 4 hour part. I have decided that any land travel in Nepal is anything but comfortable. The roads are narrow and ill maintained. I imagine that in the states we could have traveled the same distance in about an hour as we did in 4 hours today. We really did luck out with our bus driver this morning. It was easy to see that he was very experienced and patient driver, and the ride was as comfortable as possible. I wish I could say as much for the return trip.

It was Chris, Liz and I traveling together. I was glad to have them with me, not only for the company on the long trip, but as support when the time came to jump. We had the opportunity to get caught up on goings on in each others lives. Chris and I grew up together in Paradise and have been friends since we were young kids. Even thought Liz grew up in Utah, I had met her on several occasions in Paradise as one of her cousins was my best friend growing up. It is such a small world. My point being that I have known the two of them for a long time, and they have always been great friends. On the trip up to the bungy site, we started talking with two Brits who were sitting near us on the bus. They had both recently graduated from college and were traveling for extended periods of time. Rich was traveling with his girlfriend and Dan, as of late, was traveling alone. They were roommates before, and happened to meet up in Kathmandu. At the end of the day we were friends and actually had dinner together when we arrived back in Kathmandu.

We jumped in order of our weight. That put me towards the front of the line. Why didn’t I start that diet months ago like I had planned? I was grateful to know that there were a few heavier guys than me going first. That way I knew that at least the bungy cords could hold. As I waited for my turn I thought about the consent form we had to sign. I thought it was kind of funny that they warn of retinal detachment. Not that something like that is funny, but of everything that could go wrong with jumping off a bridge some 500 feet above the rocks below, retinal detachment would fall pretty low on my list of concerns.

It was my turn to jump. They brought me over and had me step into a climbing type harness that goes around your legs and waist. Then they had me sit on this little stool and they wrapped a chain around my chest and clipped me to the side of the bridge. Then comes the small, yet ever important ankle harness; Such a small apparatus standing between me and the rocks below.

Like any tourist attraction, making money is paramount. So as you might imagine, there is a man with a video camera. He pointed the camera in my face, then over the edge, then down at my feet, then back to my face as though trying to add drama and intensity to the already extreme situation. He continued with the camera right in my face as the jump master starts giving instructions. I wasn’t sure if the cameraman was awaiting some deeply profound statement or if he was enjoying capturing the look of sheer horror on my face, but the camera in my face, the jump master talking in my ear and knowing what was awaiting me just a few steps away was really all to much.
The next thing I knew I was being lead out to the jump platform. I really wanted to close my eyes, but was afraid it would only make things worse. The jump master said spread your arms and one……..two….…..three……..Thank goodness I did not hesitate. I leapt forward, arched my back and started counting. I got to 5 before the cord caught, slowed me to a stop, and then flung me upwards towards the place I had just left. I would love to say that I had profound thoughts as I was falling the 500 feet to the earth, but really I merely counted and muttered a few words that my mother would not like. Before I knew it, it was over. I was being lowered to the river bed below where a man with a bamboo pole stood waiting to pull me to the side of the river. It was an amazing experience. I can see how people can get addicted to adrenalin rushes. It was one of the most amazing feelings ever, one that certainly made the long, horrible bus ride home all worth it.

1 comment:

Landon John said...

You did it - you are so lucky! Have you ever gone skydiving? If not that is the next step. I will go with you if you want.

Sounds like all is well, I love that you are doing this.