Friday, November 2, 2007

Everest

I was walking down one of the back streets of Thamel today. I looked ahead of me and noticed a group of people who looked to be Chinese being followed by a group of what were obviously sherpas. All their faces were appeared to be very weathered. I noticed that one of the sherpas was wearing flip flop type shoes and each of his toes were individually wrapped in gauze. I noticed that several of his fingers were wrapped also. Apparently my casual gaze had turned into a curious stare, as the sherpa said the word Everest. I looked up to see that he was looking at me. It was only then that I noticed that his nose was black as charcoal. Being a bit caught of guard by the act of our eyes meeting all I could think to say was “excuse me?”…and he pointed to his toes and said “Everest.” At that moment it all made sense. He obviously was a sherpa to the Chinese people he was following around Kathmandu. They had just returned from Everest. He had not fared as well as the foreigners he had helped on Everest. I wondered if he would lose his fingers and toes. It was at that moment that it really dawned on me how close I am to one of the most amazing mountains in the world. I have seen Everest many times from the comfort of an airplane and know it exists, but it has always been in the abstract, seeing these people who had just returned from the mountain and the injuries they sustained........made it very real.

I was finally able to make contact with the Doctor with whom I will be working on the hospital. He will be coming into Kathmandu tomorrow or the next day and we will meet. I have heard quite a bit about the hospital, and am excited to be involved on what ever level. Even though the conversation was short, it made the day feel productive.

A Nepali friend of mine told me that the airlines pay you money if they misplace your bags. I have never heard of this. When he told me it was like $50.00, I decided I it would be worth my while to go find out. So I headed out to find the Thai Airways office today. Once I finally did find the office, I was told that in fact they do pay for delayed bags. I walked out $40.00 richer than when I walked in. $40.00 is significant in US terms and multiply that times 10 for Nepali terms. I could have been rich from all my bags that have been lost over the years.

Rich and his girlfriend Nige stopped by today. He apparently got really sick last night. He appears to be doing well today. They were headed out to Swayambhunath, one of the many temples in the Kathmandu Valley. Later today we are going to hang out at a Jazz festival that is going on in Durbar Square. I feel like such a bum, not doing anything really productive. Ah whatever, I am over it.

Rich, Nige and I went down to Durbar Square, but could find no sign of a jazz festival. We ended up walking over to a little shop where the have amazing chocolate cake. We sat and ate cake, drank tea and talked for an hour or more. We then came back to my hotel and sat in the garden and played cards. I am not a big card payer as my family will attest, but it was so enjoyable to sit there enjoying the night and the company. We then went to get some dinner at a little hole in the wall restaurant. The food was good, but none of us could finish what we ordered. I guess my mom was right....I'll ruin my appetite by eating chocolate cake before dinner. Rich and Nige take off tomorrow to go rafting for a couple of days. The ended up bringing their back packs over to my room so I can keep an eye on them while they are gone.

No comments: