Thursday, January 31, 2008

I have heard it all….

I thought that after spending so much time here in Thamel that I certainly would have certainly heard every scam known to man, but today I heard a new one. What made it so shocking is that it was an older American woman dressed in monk’s robes doing the scamming…..She walked up to me and asked me if I was American. When I said yes, she showed me a handful of dollar bills that were all torn in half. After looking at the money it was apparent that no two halves matched to make a whole. She said that she needed rupees and that she would give me a torn half of a dollar for a dollars worth of rupees because I could take the torn half to a bank in the US and get a whole dollar in exchange. I was baffled and wondered if I had a sign on my back that said something like…I am stupid…or I am gullible….. Maybe I am completely wrong but I am pretty sure I can’t trade a torn half of a dollar for a whole dollar. I wish I could because I would be able to double my net worth immediately. Now that I have heard it all……it is time for me to return to the states.

No comments: