Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Saying Goodbye

I have spent the last couple of days saying goodbye to friends. I have had the opportunity to rekindle old friendship and make many new ones. I have been well taken care of here by many of those friends. Like I mentioned in the last entry it will be difficult to say good bye.

I had lunch yesterday with Ujjwal and his family. Ujjwal was one of the students in the school that we help build 6 years ago. He and I have kept in contact over the years and he is now preparing to finish officer training with the Nepal Army. Being an officer in the Army is one of the most prestigious jobs in Nepal, although it doesn’t pay very well. Ujjwal talked to me about the low pay and said it didn’t matter to him because his father had told him that having a son as an officer made him very proud…that is all that mattered to Ujjwal. He graduates in August and is currently at the top of his class. What a good guy.

No comments: