Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Christmas in Nepal

Despite listening to the Christmas music that I had loaded onto my ipod prior to coming to Nepal, I have found it really difficult to feel any sort of Christmas spirit here. Nepal is of course not a predominantly Christian country…..it is made up primarily of Hindu and Buddhist…..and as such they do not celebrate Christmas. Yesterday while returning from lunch the taxi I was in passed a store which had a Christmas tree in the window. It was the first visible sign of Christmas that I have seen here. I have spent Christmas abroad before, but never in a country that did not celebrate it. It will be an interesting experience to say the least. I am grateful that the Waterfalls will be here in Nepal with me on Christmas as I think it will make all the difference between being terribly lonely and having a great Christmas experience in Nepal.

I definitely miss my family back home. It will be the first time in many years that I have not spent Christmas with them. I appreciate the fact that they at least try hard to understand my desire to travel and be abroad. My mom and dad are homebodies, and as such don’t travel too often. I think (we have never really discussed it) that they sometimes think I am nuts because of my incessant desire to see the world. I know for a fact that it is particularly difficult on my mom. I have traveled to some pretty crazy places (Colombia being one of my favorite places to visit), and I know that she worries day in and day out while I am abroad….. They are awesome and I love them beyond words!

2 comments:

joand'art said...

I often feel blessed when away from our comfort level of traditional Christian faith. I find it a wonderful reminder that we are not all of one religion yet, the commonality is so present. I am sorry you will be feeling without your tribe. They are with you anyway. The spirit of the season is Love. You carry it everywhere - and without overweight charges. Look to the mountain. Love, A J

Meg said...

Erik, I guess we (my family and I) should be thanking your family for giving you up to us this Christmas. I think of you as part of the family, so I am really looking forward to spending the Christmas all together. You are not alone in "not feeling the Christmas spirit." Ben and I were just mentioning that we too have not really felt the Christmas spirit this year...probably because we are preparing for and celebrating it differently this year. Regardless, this Christmas we can celebrate the true meaning and make memories we will never forget.
Can't wait to get there!
Megan W. Wallace