Friday, December 7, 2007

Gratitude

Someone recently asked me what I love about Nepal. I have since thought much about the question and the answer. What I came up with is….so many things. But if I had to choose one it would definitely be the people. I have been fortunate in my life to travel a fair bit, but I think I would be hard pressed to think of a people that are collectively as kind, gracious, caring and giving as the Nepali people. I can think of example after example of the immense kindness shown to me in my short stay. From the hospitality of the villagers of Pasachuar, to many invitations I have received to visit peoples homes (especially during Tihar), to the many gifts given to me by friends and sometime by mere acquaintances. Nepal…… it’s just an amazing country. Please don’t get me wrong, I love America! I miss it greatly. I just think there are many lessons we could learn from this “developing country”.

I recently had occasion to sit in a casual meeting where both Americans and Nepalis were present. I was one of three Americans with about 15 Nepalis. The subject of Thanksgiving came up and we were asked what exactly we were celebrating. I sat and listened as one of the Americans talked about gratitude and giving thanks. I was somewhat surprised at the turn the conversation took when he said that the Nepali people did not know how to show gratitude since they are not in the habit of saying thank you and you’re welcome. The American went on to tell them the importance of saying those words, as without them you can not show true gratitude….

Regretfully, I chose at the time to not get involved in the conversation. Looking back I wish I would have. I should have said something like…..every culture shows gratitude differently. In Nepal the people show true gratitude by using both hands when the hand a person something or when they receive something from another….or they offer a slight bow of their head as a sign of gratitude and respect….a far cry from how we as Americans hand something to someone (about 20 minutes earlier he had tossed a book to me from about 10 feet away that he wanted me to see) Words are just that…words. If they are said with meaning… they become more that just words. I think that often times as Americans, we think that we have everything figured out….and feel that since it works for us in the USA then it must be the right way…Egocentrism at its worse….it is hard to not be egocentric when you travel…especially to a developing country. I am as guilty as the rest….but over the years and through all my travels I have become significantly more aware of it and try to avoid it. I decided long ago that I would always try to learn new things from the countries that I visit and I believe that I am a better person for it.

No comments: