Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Santosh continued……

As the time was drawing near to leave the village, it was apparent that the ladies in the expedition had become quite attached to Santosh and visa versa. Santosh referred to them as “my guys”….He would ask me things like “are my guys happy?” and “did my guys sleep okay?” At the same time I was not looking forward to saying goodbye again. My mind went back to the time that we left his village 5 years earlier. Santosh lived in a small house on the side of the mountain where the village was situated. After we had said goodbye to the all the villagers and started our hike down the mountain we had to pass by Santosh’s home. He waited there to personally bid us farewell as we passed by. He was teary eyed and found it difficult to say goodbye. He gave us all a handful of flowers as a sign of respect. As we walked down the path, every so often when he could see us through the trees and when we made it to the valley below we could hear him yelling goodbye from the mountain side above…as we looked back we could see him waving both of his arms over his head…..where we were all grateful to have met him and the other villagers, the walk out of the village was difficult for all of us. I knew that we would have a similar experience leaving this village and leaving Santosh at the same time would have made the experience even more difficult.

The night prior to our departure Santosh told me that his professor was traveling so he had an extra couple of days off. I asked everyone if they would be okay with inviting him to come to Pokhara with us. The response was unanimous and so after a long emotional farewell from the villagers the next day we all set off to Pokhara to spend a couple of days relaxing and recreating. The excitement he felt to be spending time with us was visibly notable. I don’t think the ear to ear grin left his face the entire trip. I think that the first hot shower he had ever experienced, and the meals in the restaurants, even the new jacket to keep him warm in the colder climate were all highlights for him...but none exceeded the experience that the ladies provided him by taking him para gliding. I was not able to be there as I was in the hotel sick, but from the accounts told by the women and the pictures I was shown, I knew that it was an experience that he would never forget. Part of the instructions given prior to running off the side of the mountain is to keep your arms pulled into your chest and run hard and fast. The picture of Santosh running off the mountain shows him with his arms extended out to his sides, perpendicular to his body, and the biggest grin you can imagine….a grin that is duplicated now anytime you say the word “para gliding”. I am grateful to know Santosh. He is one of the most kind and gracious people I know……. although his kindness and tenderness are traits that you will find in most Nepalis.

No comments: